This Page

has been moved to new address

Spontaneous dance break

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Spontaneous dance break

Alexis and I have this thing we do, it's kind of a game, it's a silly tradition that we have. It's our thing, and we both love it. So, how it works, is that when I'm folding and sorting the clothes to put away, we have the radio on for background noise. Sometimes I sing along, sometimes not. Alexis first explores the bedroom, then "helps mummy" by sorting a second basket on the floor. No joke, I leave a basket on the floor for her and she pulls the clothes out one by one. She even separates the bibs when they have been stuck together in a velcro-induced blob. She is a pretty amazing girl really, copying mummy with all earnesty, but with her own individual, tastes. She even categorises them into piles. They are not conventional piles, I must admit, but they are piles none the less. I have seen this with my own eyes. A few weeks ago I sat for a good half hour watching her as she first organised them into piles (based on texture), shook her head, reshuffled the piles, then picked them up one by one, tasted each item, and re-sorted them. She did not learn that taste bit from me. Anyway I have allowed myself to get sidetracked... Once Alexis is done "helping", she crawls over to the bed, stands up, and tries to pull my piles down off the bed before I can put them away. I then hold her on my hip while putting the folded things away and leave the rest for another time. It's a messy system, but it works. The downside is that I normally forget about finishing it later and retire to bed late at night to find it covered in laundry. I didn't say it was a perfect system... The main lesson I have learned as a mum is to do what I can when I can and not be upset when I get interrupted before I can finish.

Anyway, the part that makes this a game, is the "spontaneous dance break". The radio is the key. When a song comes on that is particularly catchy or uplifting, or has a good beat, I scoop Alexis up, sing at the top of my lungs, and we "dance". I can't dance to save my life, but she doesn't know that. She loves the contact, she loves the attention, she loves the movement. The daggier and more exaggerated the moves the better. I place her on my hip and we look into the mirror so I can see the smile on her face. She waves her arms around. They have become some of my most cherished moments. Alexis holds me to the dance breaks so she must really like them too. When she hears upbeat music she crawls to me and climbs up my legs.

I have created a problem for myself though, she expects them at the shopping centre too, and in the car, at church, and at restaurants. I suppose I should enjoy it while she is still happy to be seen with me in public! She will grow up far too soon. For now I am fun, I am a companion, I am a toy. I am "mumma". What an amazing honour. Thank you God for this sweet sweet girl.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At December 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM , Anonymous Monika said...

That is the true joy of children - to break out of our 'adult' moulds and let loose! Children are a joy at all ages, it only gets better!

 
At December 9, 2010 at 9:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it Karlee! That's the essence of Mumminess, spontaneity. And getting out there to bring pleasure to your child gives you so much pleasure in return. "I hope you dance"...
Karen

 
At December 10, 2010 at 11:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karlee, you really are an amazing writer. You capture the Joy of motherhood with such passion and dignity. I adore reading these updates, and I feel very blessed to this 'rare window' of honesty into your life. What an amazing story!! Love you and Lexi lots and lots. Keep doing good xx Love from Manda

 
At December 10, 2010 at 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol. First I've heard of these. Now I know why she bails on me when there is music on. Wal

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home