This Page

has been moved to new address

Date Night/My Big Girl's First Sleepover

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Date Night/My Big Girl's First Sleepover

Tonight is the first night I've spent away from my little angel since she was born. Alexis is staying at her nanna and grandad's house. She has stayed there plenty of times, but never without me. I'm sure she'll be fine. She's in very good hands there. Mum and dad would call me if she was being impossible to settle, right? I'm not nervous. I'm not worried about her. Really I'm not! I just hope she's not making a nuisance of herself and driving my parents nuts. Or, if I'm brutally honest, what if they do a better job than me and she's the perfect little angel who sleeps through all night and I've been "not worrying" for nothing?

I know my parents will take very good care of Alexis, they always do. I do however feel guilty for only sending her with one small bottle of "mummy's milk". We provided plenty of formula, but she's not used to that. She will tolerate formula, but its "mummy's milk" that really hits the spot. I am slightly concerned she will miss me so much and not have my milk to calm her down. I tried to express heaps over the last few weeks but there doesn't seem to be enough to express any spare these days. Part of the joys of her growing up. She'll wean herself soon enough or my milk will dry, that's a normal natural thing, nothing to be sad about. This will probably be a great step in that direction. I just hope mum and dad will call me if she needs me.

They won't want to bother Corey and I because it's our date night for Valentines Day. I'm still awake, as is Corey, and we could go pick her up if we needed to, but I don't want to call because I don't want them to think I don't trust them! I do! But she's my little girl! It's not that I'm bored on my date, we're having the best night, but it's a mum thing, and if you're a mum you understand what I mean. You never really stop thinking about your kids. (See being a mum is so constant.)

Tonight really has been a great night. We didn't want to go out for dinner or a movie or anything. We don't understand why people get their children babysat to go listen to other peoples' children playing up. We made a quick trip to the supermarket for provisions (chocolate, lollies, frozen pizza) then we just stayed home and did things we don't get a chance to do much anymore. Such things like watch TV shows we had recorded but never watched, and sit on the recliners WITH THEM FULLY RECLINED without worrying about Alexis disappearing inside them or banging her head. We also had fondue. I had been looking forward to fondue for so long. Candles are a very big danger around babies, especially once they're mobile. So are the skewers. I also have to bear in mind that anything I eat passes through breastmilk to Alexis, so I rarely eat much chocolate because it sends her hyper. She also gets very jealous and upset if we have food and don't offer her some. So fondue has been a big no-no. Tonight however I let loose because she wasn't here. Yummy! (I don't want to think about the calories, I'll just feed Alexis heaps tomorrow to make up for it? Wishful thinking?)

It was also nice to have one-on-one time with Corey and fully concentrate on what he was saying. We always try to make time for each other, as we both believe it's incredibly important in a relationship, but when Alexis is here I can't help but have the back of my mind worrying about waking Alexis up or listening for Alexis' cries, or if she's awake but quiet wondering what kind of mischief she's getting herself into! It's so nice to switch off parent-mode for a little while and relax. We also played a strategy game that has tiny little pieces that we can't play when Alexis is here lest she inhales one up a nostril or chokes on one (oh the things I didn't think about before I was a mother).

I have snuck my laptop on to quickly blog only because Corey is in the bathroom paying for his over-indulgence of chocolatey goodness. ;) I think it's important for childless-people to realise that when you have a child EVERYTHING DOES CHANGE, that's not just a cliche. Not everything changes all at once, but it does change. So make the most of little things while you can. It's also to encourage mums to give themselves and their hubbies a break every now and then and be a young person yourself. Go on, you can do it, it's good for you.

I caught myself actually having fun without my daughter here. Does that make me a bad person? No! Does it make me a bad mother? No! Does it make me a better mother because I realise the importance of recharging my batteries so when we pick her up tomorrow morning I'll be better able to look after her? Well that's debatable, but many experts would say there's a good case for that. Was it incredibly important to my hubby? Very much so. It's so important, ladies, to take time out for hubby-dearest. Men have feelings too, they are just better at hiding it. Does that mean I don't like my daughter and am reluctant to pick her up again? Of course not. It simply means I love my husband and I enjoy spending time with him without my daughter, like it used to be. I don't have to worry about my daughter because I know my parents are perfectly capable of looking after her, and if it got that bad they would call me. It is weird without her though, and I'm looking forward to a nice big cuddle and a nice long feed tomorrow morning.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At February 13, 2011 at 5:02 AM , Blogger The Mother Experiment said...

Update 5 am, been up since 3:30. I miss my little girl so much I just want to go over to my parents house and sneak into her room. So much for one of the things we wanted to do that I didn't put in the post - get 8 hours uninterrupted sleep. Just expressed (interesting experience considering Corey packed ALL of our bottles into Alexis' bag. Had a bowl of cereal. Now time to climb back into bed.

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home