This Page

has been moved to new address

This time last year

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

This time last year

This time last year I was due to give birth to Alexis. I didn't know she was Alexis yet. We decid ed to not find out the sex of the baby ("Leechy" as we affectionately named it) until he or she was born. So I had many sleepless nights just lying there thinking about what was to come and what bub would look like and would it be a blue or a pink and would I cope ok and would it be love at first sight and what would we name him or her. I had so many questions and I was humongous and awkward and could not get comfortable. Add to that the fact I jumped at every little change since late January thinking I was going into labour. My little bundle of joy made us wait many sleepless nights before she finally graced us with her presence.

For security reasons I don't want her actual date of birth on the internet, so those of you who know it please don't put it on here. As we approach Alexis' first birthday and I look back it's amazing how much everything has changed in such a short time. I am no longer a paid professional scientist, but I have the best occupation in the world. My job is to protect, nurture, feed, clothe, amuse, intellectually stimulate, observe, love, adore, kiss, cuddle, read to, sing to and teach life skills to the most beautiful girl in the world. Well the most beautiful girl in my world. My 'client' is a toddler, my 'boss' is my husband (but don't tell him that :p), and higher management is our Lord Jesus (although sometimes I forget this :s). My client is adorable but she is demanding. I thought pathology on-calls were demanding, but now I'm on-call 24/7/365. There are limited sick days or holidays. Although job satisfaction is high there are days when I doubt my abilities to perform my duties.

There is a small bit of science still in my day-to-day life. For example "what is that smell, how do I make it stop?", "what is that noise? What does it mean? How can I convert sad noises into happy noises?". My measuring skills are still active, measuring water for the steriliser, the steamer, bottles for formula. I'm pretty anal trying to get the levels just perfect whereas Corey accepts the nearest 10 ml. There's observing and investigating techniques such as, "how long can she walk for without slipping and hitting the tiles?" and deciding when is the best time to try to get her to sleep. If she's not tired enough then when she wakes the first time she feels dibbed and decides it's party time but if she's too tired she's next to impossible to settle.

Being a stay at home mum is physically challenging too. At first she wanted to feed constantly, which was incredibly draining. Then she wanted to be carried around the house. Once she was crawling I was following her to try to stop her eating things off the floor. When she was learning to walk I was hovering around to catch her every few steps. Now she is almost running she is so fast and she can cover a lot of ground very quickly. She is a lot more independent but frequently comes back to me asking to be picked up and carried around for a while like old times. It is actually very tiring to get her to sleep in the afternoon because she doesn't like to stop playing but she gets very cranky and clumsy if she doesn't, so I have to pace or rock or tap her repeatedly trying to keep her still for long enough for her to admit that she's tired.

Surprisingly though I am still a terrible sleeper.I had hoped that our outings this morning and vacuuming the house with 10 kilos on my hip this arvo would have tired me out. I bombed out for a few hours til Alexis woke me at midnight, and then back to sleep for a few more hours but I woke when she usually wakes for a feed. She seems to have slept through it. I've been in pain with a nasty ulcer on the roof of my mouth, I think due to one of Alexis' finger nails exploring my mouth yesterday. Good thing the human mouth heals quickly. It heals best with sleep doesn't it?

Anyway, because I don't want Alexis' actual birthday on here I'll say this now.

Happy birthday princess, mummy loves you so so much. You are growing up so fast and so well. You are a very intelligent and very compassionate little person. When you are older mummy wants to print these blog entries for you to show you how amazing you are. Thank you for changing my life for the better. Mwah.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At February 16, 2011 at 7:53 AM , Blogger Practical Parenting said...

I love the circle of security exhibited here by Lexi... Off to explore and then back for a cuddle before exploring time again! It's so beautiful :)

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home