This Page

has been moved to new address

Just a little bit of smoke

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Just a little bit of smoke

I always knew that pregnant women are more susceptible to smoke, but this is ridiculous.

I am wheezing and gasping for air, still. I have been since about 6:30. It is for the most part annoying, but also slightly frightening. I managed to sleep for an hour or two but now I'm so uncomfortable I can't sleep. My throat feels like it has been burned. My eyes hurt. My nose hurts. Alexis is sleeping in the bed beside me, because that is the only place she would sleep. She might be feeling the effects from the smoke too or she might be worried about her mummy from witnessing what I can only describe is me having an asthma attack in the car on the way home. Fortunately Corey was driving.  I am not asthmatic and although I have always had an aversion to smoke, I very rarely feel the effects so many hours later. It has happened before after parties where either everyone smoked or a few people reaked of smoke, but this was environmental smoke.

So what happened? Let's back up a bit.

We went out yesterday arvo to catch up with some dear friends. These are friends who although we hadn't seen them in a year we were able to pick up where we left off effortlessly. It was very much like old times except for two things, a very active toddler and my friend (also expecting) and I both rubbing our eyes and having trouble with our noses. The guys seemed to be immune to whatever was in the air reaking havoc with us ladies. We weren't sure what it was yet.

Unfortunately we had to leave early  because Alexis was crying and rubbing at her eyes. Part of being responsible parents is knowing when its time to get the bub home to bed. Overtired babies aren't very good company anyway. As we were changing her into her jarmies and sleeping bag (with a hole for the seatbelt) I was finding it incredibly hard to breath.  We said our goodbyes.

As they were walking us out to the car I was still checking we hadn't forgotten any stuff inside. My friend noticed almost instantly that it was very smokey outside. I walked out and it hit me like a tonne of bricks. I stumbled to the car and started coughing. We drove to get some air flowing and I coughed and coughed and coughed for ages. Eventually I got it under control but it was pretty scary for a while there I was genuinely having trouble breathing.

Alexis fell asleep in the car and we were hoping she would stay down but she woke when we got home. She wouldn't settle after a feed or nappy change so we stripped off her sleeping bag, wiped her eyes, read some stories, and gave her some milk. Still no luck. She was too tired to attempt to bath her. Corey offered to take her for a drive which normally works and I accepted happily so I could change my clothes and do some more coughing. They were gone for so long but she wouldn't sleep. I brought her in with me and Corey went to watch the DVD we hired for him that has to be returned tomorrow. We had already arranged that. Alexis just lay there with me awake for ages. Eventually after crawling around searching out the best spot she fell asleep upside down in the middle of the bed with her head under the fan and her legs on my shoulder. It was the funniest thing.    

Part of me wants to try to transfer her to the cot now she's had a few hours sleep coz she's moving around so much I woke up just in time to pull her back in before she crawled head first off the side of the bed. Part of me is worried about her and wants her where I can keep an eye and ear out because she is wheezing too, the poor little poppet.

All we did was have a nice night with friends. It's not their fault someone in the neighbourhood was having a bbq or burning a fire or has a fireplace or whatever it was. It's not Alexis' fault that babies are more susceptible to smoke nor is it really my fault that I am really sensitive to smoke either.

I don't really know what to do. Maybe there's smoke on me, but I don't really wanna wash my hair at 2am. In the morning I'll do that and strip the beds, air the house.. how ridiculous. It was only a little bit of smoke. 

Has anyone else had this happen?  Or does anyone have asthma or allergies that is a bit like this? What do you do?

Karlee

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home