This Page

has been moved to new address

Are you neglecting your skin?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Are you neglecting your skin?

As a mother of a busy toddler I find it very hard to spend time on myself. As a pregnant lady I know that my skin dries out very easily because my body's top priority is keeping the baby inside me healthy. As a wife though, I still want to be "feminine" and have nice soft, silky skin. As someone with a wasted science degree, I know that the skin is the body's largest organ and very important in defending our bodies from the outside world. As someone who watched too much daytime television before my daughter was born I know that how I treat my skin now will influence how wrinkly and old I look in later years. As someone who has battled dry skin since adolescence, I know that for me the onset of winter means at least three months of pain and stinging from dry cracked skin. All these parts of who I am mean that I am well aware that it is important for me to eat well, drink plenty of water, and use a decent moisturiser. Yet since my daughter Alexis was born my moisturising routine is virtually non-existent. Well it was, until now.

As a mother I want the best for my kids, so it seemed selfish to spend time moisturising on a daily basis. I would let my skin get so dry that my hands would crack up so bad they would bleed and be incredibly painful. Then I would have the difficult task of trying to get them to stop bleeding and to heal, while still having motherly duties such as doing the dishes (over and over and over again), washing the laundry, and washing my hands after wiping bottoms/noses/faces (over and over and over again). I wasn't having much luck, that's for sure. I remember days crying in pain, and nights saying to my husband "you'll have to do the dishes tonight, I can't".

At this point I tried to find a good moisturiser but my skin had become so delicate that putting moisturiser on my hands was so painful. Some moisturisers didn't sting, but they smelt so bad I couldn't stand to wear them over night. During the day I have to wash my hands so often I couldn't keep anything on long enough to do any good. As a one-income family I couldn't justify spending a small fortune on various moisturisers to try, especially if they weren't likely to work.

Imagine how excited I was when I was invited to participate in my very first product review, Vaseline Dry Skin Conditioning Lotion, as part of Product Talk by Nuffnang. I was a little apprehensive at first, but after realising I was allowed to write my honest opinion regardless of what that was, I was very keen. I'm not being paid for this post but I did receive a free bottle of Vaseline Dry Skin Conditioning Lotion to review and keep.




First impressions:
Before I even started using it I was impressed by the bottle. That sounds lame I know, but it's true. I was sent a 375mL bottle that retails for $7.29. It contains vitamins A, E and B5, which I vaguely remember being a good thing. The pump action bottle is really handy because it takes up less space than a cake of soap so it can sit on the basin in the ensuite quite easily without getting in the way. This is good because if I have to actually go searching for where I've hidden my moisturiser from my daughter (or where she's hidden it because I failed to find a good hiding place) I'm less likely to use it.

How does it feel?:
It doesn't sting! Even when I put it directly on to my dry and bleeding hands it didn't sting. This is a huge plus. I even attempted putting it on freshly shaved legs (how often does that happen for mums with young kids?) and it doesn't sting those either. Neither does it feel greasy. It soaks in very quickly so it doesn't take too long to apply and you don't need to use very much of it. I didn't get a rash either, which is something I actually have to watch out for because I do have sensitive skin and pregnant women can develop allergies to strange things.

How does it smell?:
Don't let the brand name "vaseline" put you off, it doesn't smell like the good ol' vaseline you'd stick on squeaky door frames, so don't worry. It has a pleasant smell but it's not overpowering. I can put it on my whole body at night and not be bothered by the smell.

Does it work?:
Definitely. My hands have cleared up very well in the short amount of time I've used it. They don't sting or itch. I'm going to have to come up with a new excuse to convince my husband to change our daughter's pooey nappies! I should mention though that the instructions say to use it once a day. I used the moisturiser on my hands quite frequently (multiple times a day) but I was quite slack at using it on the rest of my body. I'm a busy young mum after all, and old habits (aka neglecting my skin) will die hard. It's good to know that it is gentle enough to use repeatedly but thorough enough to work if you forget for a day or two. All over my body my skin feels smoother and softer.

The ultimate test: my husband's opinion:
I had fun telling my husband I was reviewing a new moisturiser and needed his help. I didn't really need his help but it was fun to ask plus I did legitimately want to know his opinion on it. Corey loves massaging me, and hey what pregnant woman doesn't love being massaged!? So I asked him to moisturise me with the new lotion. He agreed, but I could see he was tentative. His eyes said, "everytime I moisturise you my hands smell like your grandmother for a few days". He was pleasantly surprised when he tried the moisturiser to find that it didn't smell like old ladies, or lavender, or feet, or like a zillion flowers died in your room overnight. He loved the pump bottle because he didn't have to worry about putting the lid back on like he normally would (or leaving it off and knocking it over). He even noticed that his hands felt "really nice" (don't you love how descriptive men are) from the moisturiser that had soaked into them while he was moisturising me. A win-win I must say.

Conclusions:
I would definitely recommend that you try the Vaseline Dry Skin Conditioning Lotion. You can buy a 200mL bottle for only $4.99, so it is not likely to stretch the budget to give it a try. At only $10.99 for 750 mL this is a product that I will be using from now on. Maybe with this moisturiser on my side, winter and I can finally stop being enemies.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At July 18, 2011 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Moodi Mumma said...

I too need to take better care of my aging skin, I don't suffer from dry skin, but this was a good review :o)

 
At July 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM , Blogger la petite lulu said...

Great review :-) I've been a huge fan of the Vaseline moisturiser for years (the green bottle however - I think it's the aloe version?) and it works a treat, even in a cold European winter. I've been really enjoying reading your blog - we have a mutual friend who passed on your blog link not long after I found out I was pregnant. Keep up the good work, it's been a pleasure to read!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 12:17 AM , Blogger The Mother Experiment said...

Thanks ladies! Lu-Lu congratulations on the pregnancy! Are you the maker of those adorable onesie cookies I saw on Tiffa's euroblog?

 
At July 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM , Blogger la petite lulu said...

Yup, that would be me :-)

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home