This Page

has been moved to new address

Slow cooker - third attempt

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Slow cooker - third attempt

My third attempt at using the slow cooker occurred on Wednesday. I felt like a bit of a cheater that day, with the groceries being delivered, the slow-cooker taking care of dinner, the washing machine and dryer doing the laundry and the dishwasher doing the dishes.

Even with all these modern conveniences, day to day life as a struggling housewife is tiresome and it's still difficult to get everything done. What did the good old housewives of the past do without these modern gizmos? That's probably why they had lots of children, so they could delegate chores to them. That and they didn't have all the fancy distractions we have.

Anyway, my third attempt at slow cooking was much more successful than the first and second attempts. I made "chicken, bacon and potato" (original name, not). I followed the packet recipe and it wasn't until it was in the pot I realised there were no vegetables (potato doesn't count from a nutrition point of view). So its not the healthiest. Also it is a very plain looking dish. One colour really, it's quite ugly. It is, however, very very yummy.

It was still a lot of effort. I don't really see it being much less effort than cooking on the stove. I still defrosted and cut the chicken. I still browned (probably even cooked) the chicken and bacon. I know you technically don't need to but I am probably always going to, especially while pregnant. I still had to wash and peel the potatoes and slice them. Instead of having all this done by 6pm it had to be done by 10am. So I rushed around a lot. "Slow" cooking yes but not slow preparation. The potatoes went in raw, but how hard is it to steam or boil some potatoes? 

That said though, at least it was edible this time. It is convenient in that it makes large volumes (6-8 servings). For left overs I stirred some frozen veg through, and that worked a treat. I didn't take a photo of it, because I was too busy eating it, but just imagine the other picture but with little bits of green, orange and yellow (a bag of "just add radiation" peas, beans, carrot and corn, does it get any better than that?

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At July 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM , Anonymous Catherine said...

Hey karlee,
Dont feel like a cheat hun, the fact is these days we are busier & cuz we tend 2 live further from family & close communities, there isn't as much help closeby as there used to be. I love my slow cooker mainly for making casseroles & pasta sauces & our new house has a dishwasher yay! Just do things at a pace that keeps you & the family healthy, safe & sane & u will be fine xxoo

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home