This Page

has been moved to new address

Homemade yoghurt pops - the story behind the pics

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Homemade yoghurt pops - the story behind the pics

A fortnight ago I posted a wordless Wednesday post: Homemade yoghurt pops - too cute to eat? I received a fair bit of feedback on that post, so, as promised, here's the story behind it.

I got the idea from a Wiggles activity book that my parents got Alexis many months ago. I think it was $2 with a token in the courier mail. Alexis is Wiggles obsessed, so before she was interested in colouring in or drawing or cooking, she still loved the book. She would frequently bring it to us to get us to read it to her. We weren't allowed to skip a page, so I would quite literally read out "to make a fruity yoghurt pop, take..." and read out the recipe.

I never made the recipe from the booklet. From memory it's 400g light yoghurt, a cup of fresh berries, and a mango. Mix, put into moulds, then freeze. I've always wanted to try it, but it's not mango season.

Why I made the yoghurt pops is because I had a tub of yoghurt that was approaching it's expiration date. It was full fat yoghurt (natural yoghurt I think) that Alexis wouldn't eat because it was not the nicest taste. Toddler yoghurt is full fat too, but hers come in pretty tubs (and probably have some sort of sugar in them but I haven't exactly checked). I had some strawberries about to die too, so, I chopped the strawberries up and mixed them through the yoghurt.

It still was very bitter to taste, so I searched the pantry for something sweet and found honey. Jackpot. I squeezed in a generous amount of honey. The mixture tasted pretty good just as is, and I had some for afternoon tea. I froze the rest. I used my tupperware kids iceblock moulds, but any sort of iceblock mould would probably work fine.

The end result:

They were very pretty. I took Alexis and I outside so she could feed herself one and make a mess. Alexis loved looking at them and playing with them. She enjoyed taking the plastic cover off and putting it back on again. She didn't want to eat it though. She cried when I took a bite. She took it back off me and ran down to the back fence with them. When I wrangled one back off her later (because I actually like them) she then chewed on the stick quite happily.

I won't be too offended that Alexis didn't like them. She's a toddler, she has fickle tastes. She liked them a week later. Corey won't eat them but he doesn't eat yoghurt. I tried to explain to him that they weren't that healthy so it wouldn't hurt him to eat them, but he really doesn't like yoghurt apparently. Each to their own.

I'll probably try them again next time I have yoghurt going dodgy in the fridge. Until then though I might stick to freezing juice or cordial, it's cheaper, it's easier, and I'd rather eat fruit in its fresh form.


Do you blog on Tuesdays? Want something to read? Click the button to visit Jess at Diary of a SAHM and add your link or see what others are posting today.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At September 13, 2011 at 11:40 AM , Blogger Ai Sakura said...

mmm.. love honey with yoghurt. and strawberries. Gold!! :)

Ai @ Sakura Haruka

 
At September 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Yum! That natural yoghurt can tend to be a bit bitter. Honey is just the thing. Strawberries are always good too.

 
At September 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM , Blogger Jess@Diary of a SAHM said...

I do this in tubs for the kids. It's great to get the fruit and calcium in them.

 
At September 13, 2011 at 5:28 PM , Blogger Sif said...

Oh, this is great, I'm going to try that recipe out this spring for sure!

 
At September 13, 2011 at 5:51 PM , Blogger Me 'N My Monkeys said...

yummo. Love yoghurt. My oldest son (10) he doesn't like it so much.

 
At September 13, 2011 at 8:40 PM , Blogger Lee said...

Yum! I have just started making yogurt, will definitely make some of these.

 
At September 13, 2011 at 8:42 PM , Blogger Erin @ Eat Play Bond said...

What a great idea! We are all yoghurt freaks around here but I always seem to have a little waste, definately cute too ;)

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home