This Page

has been moved to new address

Wipe your butt, not the forests

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wipe your butt, not the forests

This post is part of Product Talk by Nuffnang.

I have a confession to make. I'm not the most environmentally savvy mummy out there. I try to be environmentally conscious where possible, but convenience and cost tend to have a bigger impact on my decision making. I use disposable nappies because the thought of cloth nappies kind of makes my stomach churn. I try to use the clothes line whenever possible, but if I need something in a hurry I'm not against using the dryer. I don't specifically buy eco-friendly cleaning products, but I clean what I can with only water and a cloth and a bit of elbow grease. These things could be attributed to me being budget-conscious rather than caring about the environment though.

As someone who has chosen to give up a fairly decent career to be a full time stay at home mother, I made a commitment to scrimp and save whenever I can, well, almost. There is one thing I will not sacrifice, and that is...decent toilet paper...

My husband once said, "dunny roll is dunny roll. You wipe your butt with it and you throw it out. What's the big deal?" He then got an hour long lecture about how it's different for women then men because we don't just wipe our bottoms with it. He's never argued with me about it again.

We use a lot of toilet paper around here. Other than it being good to wipe yourself with, it's also used to blow your nose with, and in cases of unexpected visitors sometimes clean the bathroom with. It's also fun to design wedding dresses with at bridal showers.


Our daughter Alexis has fun pulling squares of toilet paper off the roll. It's really hard to stop her running off with the toilet paper. She loves nothing more than to leave a trail of toilet paper in her wake. (That's why I personally don't bother with long roll!)

Seriously though, anyone who's ever had bad gastro for a long period of time or temporarily had their private parts destroyed by bringing a beautiful child into this world will totally agree that nice toilet paper is not a luxury, but a necessity. I wish I had taken a stash of decent toilet paper with me when we went for a 600km drive and back one weekend within weeks of my daughter being born. It's an experience I don't think I'll ever forget no matter how hard I want to.

So, in our house, we always buy good toilet paper. I've never had an allegiance to a particular brand though. I tended to buy whatever is on special at the time out of the more luxurious brands. I have always felt like saving those few dollars made me a bargain shopper and like I was being responsible with our finances. We use so much toilet paper here (especially with me being pregnant) so cost is important. Trying to use less is not really an option. I do sometimes feel guilty for the amount of waste and the amount of trees that have to die to wipe my behind.


When I saw the opportunity to review "Kleenex Cottonelle FSC approved toilet paper" as part of product talk I jumped at the chance. I initially thought that Kleenex was bringing out a new environmentally friendly type of toilet paper. I assumed they'd bring it out but keep the old line and charge more for the environmentally friendly stuff. I'm so glad I was wrong.

I did some research online and in supermarkets and this is what I found out...
  • Kleenex Cottonelle is just the name for Kleenex toilet paper
  • It's the same high quality toilet paper we know and trust, but now it is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) 
  • This happened because Kleenex (as part of Kimberley-Clark) is committed to responsibly managing forests to ensure sustainability and protect natural habitats
  • From now on every roll of Kleenex Cottonelle is FSC certified (which means they promise that every roll of Kleenex Cottonelle comes from sustainable forest or plantations)
  • Kleenex Cottonelle is the only FSC certified toilet tissue at this stage
  • Kleenex also has a strong environmental policy for reducing their carbon footprint
  • They work with WWF (World Wildlife Fund) which is why they now have the cute WWF panda icon on the packaging.
  • Kleenex Cottonelle is biodegradable 
  • It is safe for septic tank systems 
  • Kleenex are still working with Guide Dogs Australia


As for my personal opinion on the quality of Kleenex Cottonelle (thanks to the sample I received in exchange for my review):

  • It feels really nice to use
  • It is soft
  • It is strong
  • It is thick
  • because it is good quality you don't need to use as much as you would with 'cheap' toilet paper
  • The cardboard roll in the center is slightly scented, which initially I didn't like but after a little while I started to really like it



In all honesty I can't notice much difference in terms of function between Kleenex Cottonelle and a well-known competitor that we currently had in circulation, but I only received my sample of Kleenex Cottonelle on Friday. I don't know whether it would be gentler on sensitive skin or preferable for long term use. I can tell you though that my mother swears by Kleenex and will only buy Kleenex Cottonelle and has done so for many many years.

At least by buying Kleenex Cottonelle I can know that I am doing somethingu good for the environment with very little effort on my part. To be honest I never pay full price for toilet paper, but it wouldn't be hard to stock up on Kleenex when I can instead of grabbing whatever is cheapest when we're down to the last roll. It's possible to be a busy, frugal, pregnant mum and still care about the environment, if I just chuck an extra packet of Kleenex Cottonelle in the trolley next time it's on special.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At September 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM , Anonymous Alyce said...

I too am a toilet paper snob!! (and use 'sposies and the dryer!) I only ever buy Cottonelly because it's so soft and thick and strong!! I love that they're now 'green' too! Plus the ads with the orangutan and puppy?! Too cute!

 
At September 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM , Anonymous Maid In Australia said...

We always buy the soft stuff too ... it's not worth the anguished cries of complaint when young bottoms are being wiped. But I'm also supportive of environmentally-friendly products. And I agree with you - I just stock up when it's on special, so I never end up paying more for quality anyway! Plus, puppies and pandas ... too cute!

 
At September 16, 2011 at 1:53 AM , Blogger la petite lulu said...

Hehe good post - I'm glad to read I'm not the only toilet paper snob out there! I never used to be until my husband and I took a trip to Nepal & India a few years back - I thought he was crazy filling his precious baggage space with rolls of puppy dog Kleenex but man, when you are in the middle of the Himalayas with bad gastro, it was a lifesaver - I'm now a convert of the nice stuff too :P

 
At November 30, 2011 at 1:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A woman after my own heart! I only ever buy Kleenex Cottonelle.... when it's on special of course... then i load up the trolley like our family has some dreaded disease.... makes people look!

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home