This Page

has been moved to new address

A day in the life of 2 under 2

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, October 28, 2011

A day in the life of 2 under 2

Wednesday night was just one of those nights. Thursday wasn't much better. As is often the case, a difficult night was followed by a bad day. As is often the case Thursday's dramas were mostly caused by a lack of sleep Wednesday night.  

On Wednesday night Corey and I got Alexis to sleep at a reasonable hour. We should have gotten ready for bed ourselves but I had to insist Corey bath William. William had been asleep for three hours so I reasoned it would be best to wake him and bath him rather than just fall asleep and have him wake for a feed. Waking him just to feed him would be pointless, because he would either be awake for hours or he would fall back to sleep at the breast almost instantly.

We didn't want to wake Alexis, whose bedroom is close to the bathroom, so we shoved the baby bath on the bottom of the ensuite shower and bathed William in there. We managed to get him bathed, dressed and back to his basinet without waking Alexis. Awesome.  Corey went off to sleep too.

William then started grunting and making odd noises in his sleep. I couldn't sleep through it so I stayed up editing a blog post. I was really impressed with it but only have one comment 24 hours later, further enforcing the thought I was wasting my time.

Anyway eventually I turned my laptop off and went to sleep. I don't know what time but it was most likely 10 ish. 

I was woken by baby  William at 11:30 and couldn't get him back to sleep til 1:30. Then I was woken by storm at 2:30. I was woken by baby again at 3:00. He had an attempt at feeding but wasn't overly interested. I woke hubby and asked him to deal with baby at 4 ish. Of course William then decided he needed a feed after all so I fed baby again.

At 4:30 ish Corey took William to the other room. I had wanted Corey to keep William upright til his gas problem subsided but Corey put him down and tried to sleep through the grunting. We all do desperate things at 4am don't we?

I must have managed to drift off to sleep because just after 5 I was woken by hubby saying "I need your help please!"

When I walked down to the nursery I saw Corey had Alexis on the changetable. She wears nappies (only 20 months old) but the nappy had breached saturation point. She had weed through the nappy, through her clothes, through the sheets, through the doona cover onto the doona and through the woolen underlay into the pvc mattress protector. 

William was crying, and Alexis was very upset and embarrassed. I picked up baby William. Corey stood our wee-covered toddler in the  shower (with taps off) to wait while he stripped the bed. The pvc mattress protector is "wipe clean only" and it was filthy and ripped so because we heard the garbage truck around the corner I raced it out to the bin. Then I was holding the baby and trying to calm the toddler through glass. Then hubby showered Alexis while I fed baby William.

Then I continued feeding bub while watching wiggles with out very excited toddler. Hubby got ready for work then called his mother who was coming over to take us out and asked if she could come early to help out around the house first.

Baby William fell asleep so I put him down. Hubby then watched our toddler while I tried to sleep but I couldn't, I was too awake, too wound up, and my back and hip were aching. I finally got comfy (ish) and bub grunting in his sleep again. We changed the plans.

I showered while Corey and Alexis took a drive to fetch some greasy deep fried goodness. Broken sleep tends to make us feel hungover, so fetching stereotypical hangover food tends to help. (I doubt we are alone on that one...)

After breakfast I fed William (I think we have hit growth spurt stage) while Alexis climbed me while Corey finished getting ready for work. Alexis insisted I take her to the door to wave goodbye to daddy so I had to break William off. After that I sat down to feed again.

I had to break William off again several minutes later to let my mother in law in. She offered to take William while I "go do something". It seemed like a good idea at the time because there were a lot of things that needed doing. I forgot that I hadn't let William finish the feed so he was cranky. His nanna put it down to wind, as nannas tend to do. It's a nice change from "must be hungry" but I think this time he was.

I had Alexis under my feet playing up. Of course she was only trying to help but I just wanted to get the dishes done and leave. We were going looking for a carseat at a particular shop and had a long drive ahead. We were planning to visit Corey's work too, so I didn't want to leave it too late.

I gave up on the dishes because it was clear it just wasn't gonna be possible to do them. If I'd been thinking clearly I would have asked MIL to do them while I continued feeding William and Alexis sat with me watching tv. Seeing as I wasn't thinking clearly and my MIL can't read my mind we ended up letting a half dressed Alexis play in the front seat of the car while I fed William and my MIL wrangled clothes onto Alexis. The dishes still aren't done incidentally.

We were joined at the shop by Corey and together we picked out a lovely big girl car seat for Alexis. It was so lovely of Corey's mum to get it for us. Alexis is going to love it and it will allow us to have Alexis' old seat in Corey's car so they can have outings together (such as swimming) without having to swap seats or take our family car.

While there I changed William's nappy and used the last of his nappies out of the nappy bag because I had forgotten to restock it. *Facepalm*. The price of nappies at the baby store was ridiculously high (double the normal price) so we had to add stopping at a supermarket to the list of things to do.

Of course changing William's nappy signals booby time so I sat in the shop feeding while Corey and his mum finalised the sale and Corey went back to work. The shop has a designated feeding lounge (I love that shop for that reason) and there was a kids movie playing so it kept Alexis happy, allowing me to give William a nice long feed. Finally he got a complete feed and was happy.

We had to then go find a single bed waterproof mattress protector (the baby shop didn't have one but we found one at a different store in the same complex). Then we drove to a different shopping centre to find woolworths, a chemist (to buy eye drops for baby William) and lunch.

My MIL offered to stay in the car with the kids. I did not want to leave them long so was rushing. I had to go back to the car to get my wallet. I rushed back to pharmacy and realised the script was in the nappy bag. I went to woolies, bought the nappies (had to wait for the old bitty who pushed in front of me with groceries to be served before me.. grr..), decided the line at subway was far too long and head back to the car.

I put the nappies in the car, sat my handbag down so I could rummage through the nappy bag,  got the script, and said I was just going to get something from the bakery. I went back for my handbag (wallet again) before I could finally get the eye medication and lunch. Argh baby brain + no sleep = funny story but seriously exhausted. Did I mention the only park I could get was at the back of the carpark?

When I got back to the car for the last time my MIL was changing William's nappy and we were so excited he'd finally done a proper poop. I'm glad I stopped to buy nappies!

We took lunch to Corey's work, said hello to his colleagues, ate lunch and left. We drove home, got the washing off the line, changed some nappies and said goodbye to MIL. Then I put tv on for Alexis, sat down to feed, and fed bub while trying to convince Alexis she didn't need to climb us.

Argh what a day. I wish that was the end but wait there's more. There was another 4 hours til Corey got home, which involve several more feeds, more "Alexis do not sit on your brother", a load of washing, checking the mail, bringing the bin in, several more thwarted attempts at doing dishes, Alexis spreading yogurt through the dining room, folding some clean towels and sheets and clothes (and seeing that as a MAJOR achievement), Alexis tipping a cup of water all over my electronic piano (and my half hearted attempt at cleaning it up), and me burning myself on the oven twice (yes, twice. I know.).   

Then Corey got home we ate our chicken nuggets and chips (hey, I'm suprised I even managed that), got both kids to bed and spent an hour chasing flies.

Now I'm up with William preparing to do it all over again. Minus the shopping. Please God no more shopping. I'm exhausted.

How was your Thursday?

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At October 28, 2011 at 7:12 AM , Blogger Cherie @ 'a baby called Max' said...

Oh MAN!

Those days just break me! Absolutely break me.

I just want to give you the biggest hug, or a big ol' pillow to punch :)

xx

 
At October 28, 2011 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Kristy said...

I've still got yesterday's post opened and half read, cause I got interrupted while I was reading it.... it is a great post!! xx

 
At October 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Emma jane said...

oh wow. You poor thing! Whatta day. Love to you.

 
At October 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM , Blogger Julie said...

oh no, you poor thing. Been there! Those first few months are the hardest. It will get better I promise (or at least different)

 
At October 28, 2011 at 12:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of carseat did you end up getting? So many to choose from now at least with the new carseat laws in place!

 
At October 28, 2011 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Rhianna said...

Sending you some love filled fairy wishes and butterfly kisses lovely lady. At least things can only get easier xx

 
At October 28, 2011 at 8:27 PM , Blogger mummysundeservedblessings said...

Poor you! It will get better but days like these really take it out of you. Prayer and hugs to you guys.

 
At October 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM , Blogger The Mother Experiment said...

Thanks everyone. It was a fun day, I had a good time. It was just so full on! I had a nice day just the kids and I st home today to rest up a bit. We have friends over tonight tiring Alexis out.

Anon we got a booster seat but with an inbuilt harness. It's good from 8-26 or 6 months til 7 apparently.

 
At October 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM , Blogger la petite lulu said...

Oh wow, that is a big day!!! I find just having 1 is full on, I can hardly imagine having 2 - keep up the good work :-)

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home