This Page

has been moved to new address

The longest and best three years

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, November 24, 2011

The longest and best three years


Warning contains mushy stuff.


In a few days Corey and I will have been married for three years. Some of our close friends might say, "three years? That's gone fast!" For me, I think, "oh my goodness has it ONLY been three years?" It has been the longest three years of my life. Corey probably agrees. It feels like we've been married forever and it has been three rather intense years.

The last three years have seen Corey finish uni, search for work and start his career in an unrelated field (as so many science graduates tend to do). The last three years have poked and prodded and stretched us out of our comfortable little bubble for two as we experienced pregnancy, labour and childbirth not once but twice.  We have learned not only to live with eachother but also to share each other with our children.

Before marriage our relationship was about having fun and being happy. We played nintendo or playstation or boardgames or cards or sat around staring at eachother saying "I love you more". We had time to burn and any time spent together was bliss. We were pretty much unaware of the world around us, it was just him and me and we liked it that way.




These days we have to consciously make time for eachother otherwise life becomes about nappies, rubbish, milk, dishes and mess. (See is your marriage baby-proof?) It's so easy to get upset when he fails to do something I've asked him to do (again!). It would have been tempting for him to think he had to do everything when my body was recovering from something and I'd sit around exhausted. I've been pregnant or breastfeeding since 5 months into our marriage.      

We have always wanted our children (and we were so excited when we saw those two pink lines) but I know neither of us were prepared for the level of work they would require of us. We were ready for a baby but I wasn't ready to be a mum. I wasn't prepared to be selfless and nurturing and gentle but firm. These things don't come naturally but we are getting there.

We had no idea how much having Alexis would change our lives. We knew life would be different but we didn't know how quickly things would change. We thought we could work things out as we went along, and we have, but she has repeatedly been a step ahead of us. We didn't know how fast she would grow. It was not long at all before she was rolling, then crawling, then walking, now talking and running and jumping and throwing and wow is she big! We are now parents not only to a baby but also a toddler.

The last three years have had moments of tension, difficulty, stress, pain, fear and disappointment but they have also had times of unspeakable joy.



Together we have grown physically, spiritually, emotionally. We have shared eachothers excitement and we have shared eachothers pain. We have laughed. We have laughed so hard we got stomach aches. We have cried. At times we have just sat there, holding eachothers hands saying "it'll be alright".

The last three years have been intense but God has been good to us. He has always been good to us. Yes we are paying far too much interest for our car but its a beautiful car. Yes we live so far away from anything but it's a beautiful home. It's a place I'm happy to spend my days in and when it's clean I love to have people over. Yes we have trouble juggling our children at times but they are the most beautiful children. Yes Corey and I fight, we have had some doozies, but we always make up quickly and we always end up stronger.    
  
I love you Corey and I am proud of you. Thank you for giving me two kind, intelligent, beautiful babies. Thank you for loving them as much as I do. Thank you for working hard to provide for us. Thank you for not resenting my heart-felt need to stay home with them. Thank you for not throwing it back in my face when I whinge about how hard it is.

Thank you Corey for helping with the housework. Thank you for being patient when I say you're doing it wrong. Thank you for putting up with my frustration at having a little life leeching away my energy for the last two and a half years. Thank you for rarely rubbing it in that you do a lot more than you think you should. Sorry I don't always recognise your efforts.

Thank you for always trying to please me. I'm sorry I'm not too concerned with trying to please you. Thank you for sharing me with two children (and my blog and my family and my own insecurities). Thank you for forgiving me easily when I hurt you. I'm sorry I'm not always as gracious. Thank you for loving me as I am, warts and all, but for speaking up when things are not right. Thank you for recognising the potential in me, even when I can't see it myself.

I love you.

For more reasons than I can count I love you more than I'll ever be able to say. For all that you do and for all that you don't do. For all that I feel when you look in my eyes. For all that I feel when I hear your voice. For the sparks that still fly when I hold your hand (after 7.5 years together). For the excitement I feel when we kiss. For the way you can calm me and bring me peace.


Corey, my love, the problems of this world fade away when you hold me in your arms.

For all that you are and all that you will be I thank you. Every day I thank God for you. Even though I suck at saying it you are so precious to me. You always have been and you always will be.



Happy anniversary sweetheart. Thank you for the longest and best three years of my life.     

It seems slightly tacky to join this up to a linky but I want many people to know how thankful I am, so I'm joining up for Thankful Thursday over at Katesaysstuff   

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At November 24, 2011 at 6:49 AM , Anonymous Sara @ Tis The Life said...

Absolutely beautiful. You are so lucky to have each other
Happy Aniversary
Xx
S

 
At November 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM , Blogger robyn said...

Beautiful post. It certainly is a journey and a half, but so worth it. Congratulations!

 
At November 24, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Anonymous Ai Sakura said...

Not tacky at all. A joy reading such lovely post abt your marriage. Happy anniversary to the both of u.

Ai @ Sakura HARUKA

 
At November 24, 2011 at 9:47 AM , Blogger Sonia @ Life Love and Hiccups said...

Whata beautiful post - you can feel just how much love you have for your gorgeous hubby.
Happy Anniversary and here's to many more wonderful years together. xxx

 
At November 24, 2011 at 11:31 AM , Anonymous Marita said...

Happy Wedding Anniversary :)

 
At November 24, 2011 at 12:16 PM , Blogger Rhianna said...

What a beautiful post, I had tingles and tears as I read it as it was just so moving. Much love to you all for many more years to come

 
At November 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM , Blogger Debbie @ Aspiring Mum said...

Such a beautiful post. Happy anniversary, and by God's grace, may you have many more fantastic years together.

 
At November 24, 2011 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Kristy said...

Happy anniversary guys. Wish you many, many more to come xx

 
At November 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Beautiful photos, beautiful family and a beautiful sentiment.

Congratulations :) You are so right about babies changing things forever though!!

 
At November 24, 2011 at 7:23 PM , Blogger Kim-Marie said...

Bless! :)

 
At November 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Suzy said...

A beautiful post and lovely pics. thanks for sharing.

 
At November 25, 2011 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Happy Anniversary ;-)

 
At December 4, 2011 at 12:07 AM , Anonymous Cam said...

Happy Anniversary! Beautiful, honest and heart felt post. I think you captured what most mothers would say to their husbands on their anniversary

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home