This Page

has been moved to new address

My goal for November: using smart phone "smartly"

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My goal for November: using smart phone "smartly"

On Saturday night/Sunday morning I was drafting a post for my first Me and YOU Monthly link-up project. I was writing it on my phone to keep me awake while I was breastfeeding because Corey gets cross with me falling asleep while holding William. Yes, falling asleep on a couch with a baby is very dangerous and against SIDS guidelines but when I'm absolutely exhausted I can't help myself, unless I blog. So blog is what I do. The problem is that when I get the baby back to sleep I'm wide awake then. This is what I wrote at 1:30 Sunday morning. Actually from reading it I might not be wide awake but I'm clearly not asleep, as I should have been.


It's 1:30am and I can't sleep. William woke at 11:45 and fed then fell asleep but made a lot of noise grunting etc. So I kept blogging. I was concentrating on this tiny bright phone screen for about 1.5 hours. Now I have a headache and I can't sleep 20 min later. I've been lying here asking God what is my most important goal for this month? More hygienic home? More time in devotion? More sleep? More organised with my time? More attentive to my husband? All these things need to happen. But where to start?

Then that little voice in my head and that churning feeling in my gut, "your phone". I've known it since the very first me n you Monday. I spend too much time staring at this stupid phone. I never call anyone. I never msg anyone. It's just the internet. The joys of modern technology.

Staying connected is important. Being supported is important. Blogging is important to me. But I don't need to check Facebook and Twitter all the time. I don't need to check my email as soon as I get a notification. I don't need to play words with friends at 1am.

I don't want to not use my smart phone at all, because its expensive and I don't want to waste its potential. I'm locked into a contract so its not possible to downgrade my phone. I just want to limit how often I check it and avoid spending long periods of time on it because it hurts my eyes and gives me headaches. This will be hard though because I like to keep it in my pocket in case someone calls when I'm feeding or in case I want to take a picture of the kids doing something cute. Can I have it on me all the time without it having a stronghold on me?

When will I blog if not on my phone while I feed? I know it's sensible to not blog when you have a new baby but I want to share my experiences for that very reason. Not many people blog about the first few months. I have an opportunity to do something different and it's helping people. I'm really proud of some of my recent posts.

So I'm torn.

I need guidelines and structure for my own protection. I need to make sure I get enough sleep (as much as possible). I need to put my family first. I also need to relax, and blogging and a few mindless games help me do that. I don't want to stare at a little bright screen til I have a headache so bad I want to vomit though... I have problems walking away from a post until it's done. If I have an idea I have great difficulty switching my brain off to sleep. It's in my very soul to want to get it out. I need to learn though, or maybe compromise by writing on paper?

Do you have rules for smart phone use? Any tips for me? Please leave a comment. If I don't reply quickly don't despair, it means I'm working on my goal.;-)

----------
I think that was fairly coherent for 1:30am. I didn't mention one thing though: how else can I make sure I don't fall asleep holding William while feeding? I've fallen asleep with him a few times now. It does scare me (not to mention kill my neck). So I'm asking two things: 1) how do you keep yourself awake in a way that you don't get too worked up to sleep again as soon as you can (is that even possible) and 2) do you have any tips for using smart phones "smartly"?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At November 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM , Anonymous Alyce said...

Sorry, I use my smart phone while feeding to keep me awake too, lol!! It means I don't have to turn the light on or anything, just use the light of the screen. With Jonathan I watched DVDs as he was a long feeder/settler when first born. The other option is to read a book.
I'd say pray, but that puts me to sleep if I'm tired as it brings me peace, lol!

 
At November 1, 2011 at 1:34 PM , Blogger cate said...

hmm, I'm afraid I can't offer any advice, I'm a co-sleeping parent, so I'm always asleep while night-feeding! But I definately need to figure out how to use my iphone for good!

 
At November 1, 2011 at 1:42 PM , Blogger The Mother Experiment said...

Thanks for taking the time to comment ladies.

Alyce, prayer relaxes me off to sleep too. Maybe I should just keep using my phone but then pray afterwards til I fall asleep. Not sure why I haven't thought of that..

Clare, I like cosleeping too, I did with my daughter when she was big enough to push me out of the way. I don't think I should cosleep with my 3 week old though because I'm sleeping deeper than normal lately and I worry I'll smother him. Goodluck with using your phone for good too.

 
At November 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM , Blogger The Mother Experiment said...

*Cate, not Clare. I'm so sorry! How careless of me to get your name wrong.

 
At November 1, 2011 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Kristy said...

I've got no real handy advice either.... I rushed through night feeds to get them over with quickly, which never really helped any of us! Good luck... I know this one isn't going to be easy for you!

 
At November 1, 2011 at 6:33 PM , Blogger MummyK said...

I used to be addicted to my iphone4, now I can regulate it a bit more. It is tempting though but you just need to control the urges. It's like addiction!

 
At November 2, 2011 at 4:31 AM , Blogger S said...

Great post. I'm reading it at my 3.30am feed with my 4 month old twin girls. I too am adicted to the iphone since the girls birth and every feed i go through the same routine as you on the phone except i follolw about 30 blogs rather than write them.
As for hints on keeping awake sans iphone, for the first few weeks i used food to keep me up but my butt didnt like that very much, ive also used tv, but that can put me to sleep. Maybe try setting an alarm (a soft one) to make sure you stay up. I've found it is better for me to useon the phone during feeds then when i get back to bed read my book. I'm usually out within a

 
At November 7, 2011 at 2:36 PM , Blogger Rhianna said...

I am slowly returning from a self imposed computer ban because I was just wasting too much time on it. I never really thought about the phone with the feeding thing. Mind you I have spent many an afternoon sleep/feed in front of my Mac.

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home