This Page

has been moved to new address

Me and YOU in 2 0 1 2

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, January 2, 2012

Me and YOU in 2 0 1 2

Hi everyone, welcome to the first Monday of the New Year. I hope you've had a nice holiday. I know stay at home mums don't really get holidays but it is almost like a holiday when hubby is home on holidays. Isn't it?

It's great having him around to help with the kids and the housework. Having Corey home must have reduced my workload immensely but at many times it felt that him being home meant extra work for me instead of less.  That's because when he took the kids so I can rest he took the kids but that was it. He is not used to having Alexis playing at his feet while juggling dishes and the like. While it was nice to be told to rest, having work pile up around me was stressful.

You'd think that Alexis and William would have really enjoyed having their daddy home and you're  right, they did. They enjoyed the time with daddy so much that they didn't want to stop to eat or sleep or have their nappies changed or get cleaned up. It's been a whirlwind adventure of a week and a half.

We've had good times such as looking at Christmas lights, playing teaparties, going to dreamworld, watching dvds, reading story after story after story and catching up with friends. It's been incredibly fun, incredibly messy and far too expensive. Although I'm thankful for the good times I'm almost wishing Corey was about to go back to work so that we could go back to some sense of normality.

I know I'll miss him like crazy but there's little things I'm missing now. Little things like children sleeping at night, Corey not changing his shirt several times a day due to baby spew, and me doing housework or having me time or a nap when the kids are napping without Corey trying to get me to play with his space ship (that's not a euphemism, he got a Lego space shuttle for Chriatmas). Yet at the same time I am very thankful that he has another week.

As much as possible I really want to use this week, the first week of the new year, to clean up this place. I don't like starting a new year with a filthy disorganised house and I want to make things as easy as possible to manage when Corey goes back to work. 

Actually my whole goal for the whole year is to clean up my act. I want to be better at everything. Better at housework, better in my faith, better in my relationships and feeling better within myself. I want to lose weight, get fit, get rid of emotional baggage and be more intentional in raising my kids.

I am somewhat overwhelmed by all that I need to achieve. There is so much to do that I could easily throw my hands up and say "I can't do it all so why bother". In 2011 I did that far too often. It's a new year and I want to grow this year so much that by 2013 I'm almost a new me.

I have no idea how to do this. I need to break it up into more manageable pieces so I don't get discouraged. I cannot do it all at once and that's ok. I have to start somewhere so I'm actually going to start off focussing on housework.

For real? That doesn't sound like me does it. I am normally the person who says "I want to focus on spending time with my children while they are young", or "I want to stop doing *insert bad behavioural trait here". Well I've tried that and I keep falling back down because I'm unhappy with the state of the house. I spend the vast majority of my time in this house and when it's cluttered, disorganised and something you want to get away from then so am I. The amount of time I spend looking for clean clothes in laundry baskets or taking things off Alexis that I should have kept out of her reach or feeling sick because we aren't cleaning properly or eating well is unacceptable. I can make excuses about it very easily but at the end of the day I can't fool my own heart.

I want a clean, tidy, fun, safe place for us to live in. Our home should be our safe haven, our sanctuary. I don't want a magazine-style gallery at the expense of fun, but I do want to have less rubbish, less dust, less mess. I want to set up systems to allow cleaning and dusting to be a far easier job.

On Christmas night I lay awake wondering where to put all the toys and I knew we have too much stuff. The kids have too many toys to use at once so I want to start rotating them but the cupboards are full of clothes and bears and junk. We did a good pitch out when we were pregnant with William, but we need to do it again.  I desperately want to declutter. So my goal for the next month or two is to declutter little by little, focussing this week on the master bedroom.

Last time we did it we held a garage sale and things that weren't sold slowly crept back in. This time although I'd love some pocket money from selling my things (it's likely to mostly be only my things I'll clear out) Corey and I are leaning more towards just giving everything to charity.

Donating things instead of selling them will save time but also allow me to be generous and giving instead of stingey. There are so many things we have been given freely and it's time to do the same.

It's going to be hard choosing what to give and what to keep. I have clothes from size 8 to size 20 (easier and cheaper than maternity clothes). I want to drop a couple of dress sizes and we haven't ruled out the possibility of another baby in the future, so I don't know what I might need again. I also don't know what my chest will be like after breastfeeding so I'm not sure if it's worth holding into the little tops I used to like that just don't fit anymore. 

I have to start somewhere though, so why not here. Corey has already prepared a bag of his old clothes to giveaway to help me get started. That's only because a bottle of perfume leaked from the top drawer into his drawer though. Oops. Sorry. I don't even wear perfume (baby spew, poo and stale milk aren't masked by artificial fragrances so maybe I should get rid of those too.

I'm getting the let's-throw-things-away bug. Hurray. Alexis is even asleep at time of writing this (2pm Friday) and so is Corey. It would be the perfect time to start. If only I could get William to sleep. He has learned to cluster-feed while Alexis is sleeping. I can't blame him, it's self-preservation, but it makes it extremely difficult to get anything done. I wonder how long this decluttering/wanting to be a better housewife thing will last if the kids keep tandem sleeping day and night.

Maybe getting the kids to sleep at the same time will be my goal next week but I doubt it. I've been trying since before William was even born and it still hasn't clicked yet. Eventually I'll learn to function with no sleep and no caffeine, right? Maybe the whole not sleeping thing is a good enough excuse for the place being so messy after all.

The most important thing this week is for me to give the kids and Corey a nice fun week of holidays. If I don't get the decluttering done it doesn't matter but I would like to make a start. This year is going to be baby steps but even a baby can walk a long way one foot after the other. Alexis walked for the first time on new years day 2011. Now she runs so fast I can't keep up with her. Hopefully me learning to keep house better will be a little like that.                    


Do you have a new years resolution? For this week me and YOU Monday I'd love to see new years resolution posts linked up to this or if you like the idea of weekly goals and want to join Me and YOU Monday for a while now is the perfect time to start! It can be as big or as little as you like.



Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At January 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM , Blogger SportyMummy said...

Hi Karlee, I'm totally with you when it comes to the house work. House work is the first thing that gets neglected at my house. I'm on holidays at my mums house now though....so I'm feeling a little spoilt!

Like you I feel that I should really do something about it...sometimes I'm embarrassed to have my friends or my kids friends over because of all the clutter...

It's a good idea to link up abut the new years resolutions. I've added my post to your linky..thanks and good luck with the de-cluttering!!

 
At January 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM , Blogger The Mother Experiment said...

Thanks Sporty mummy. I just want to set up systems that are easier to maintain. I spent much of last year chasing my own tail!

 
At January 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM , Blogger robyn said...

Nothing like a good organise and declutter- it's amazing how much stuff we have that we don't need!

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home