This Page

has been moved to new address

SYL12/2 Our Family Mission Statement

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

SYL12/2 Our Family Mission Statement

This is part of SYL12 at Home Life Simplified. Last week's task was to write our family's mission statement based on our family members' core values. 

Writing a mission statement was tricky for us. Corey initially said his values were the same as the ones I said last week (faith, joy, peace, love, passion) except fun instead of passion. I thought it would make a more interesting exercise if we had different values so we both re-did the exercise slowly and methodically. To be honest I've done it several times and come up with different answers every time. It's a complicated exercise for someone as complicated as me. Simplifying things is incredibly difficult, so it would seem.

This particular day I came up with values:
1) diligence
2) compassion
3) thoughtfulness
4) dependability
5) I honestly could not choose between growth, education, or pride in our home

On reading them again 1-4 all seem different aspects of courtesy and respect for others and #5 (and 1) are about being productive.

Corey's list was:
1) listening
2) loyalty
3) gratitude
4) understanding and laughter (specifically me understanding when he is joking and not taking offence)
5) balance (he wants more time at home with the kids instead of so many commitments on weekends)

Most of Corey's could be lumped under courtesy/respect too. The other two are on limiting stress.

I realised that the things Corey listed are all things I'm not very good at. This hurt a bit. Actually it hurt a lot. I spent a few days sooking over it but I am genuinely glad he was honest with me. All five of his values could have been grouped under love but it's good to have specific avenues we can work on.  We both do value what I said last week very highly.

So the list of things to fit into our mission statement included:

  • faith  
  • joy/laughter 
  • peace/rest (less stress, less arguing)
  • love 
  • respect/courtesy
  • fun (yes it's different to joy) 
  • balance (family time/work/social/alone time) 
  • forgiveness 
We also have noticed our moods are better when we eat well and the house is not trashed so housework and cooking is very important too, however so as to not overwhelm ourselves with so many things to focus on I haven't mentioned food at all and I barely mention housework in our mission statement either. Educating our children is of huge importance to us but we do it well without really thinking about it so it doesn't need to be put in our mission statement.

So to put all of this into a few short sentences for a mission statement is tricky but this is what we came up with.


OUR MISSION FOR 2012

We will grow in faith by spending more time seeking God individually and as a family.

We will  keep most Sundays free for church and rest so we start the working week refreshed.

We will teach our kids about our God and model His love to them, including repentance and forgiveness.

We will look for the positives in our circumstances and each other and we will make an effort to overlook minor offences instead of dwelling on them.

We will serve each other in love by being considerate of everyone's needs.

We will communicate respectfully, listen intently and be free to confide in each other confidentially.

We will not betray each others trust.

Our home is to be a safe haven so we will take pride in it and clean up after ourselves so as to limit stress.

We will be one in Christ and pray daily for His provision and protection.

We will make time for fun.



 Linking up with Jess at Diary of a SAHM too because

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

At January 24, 2012 at 9:16 AM , Blogger Rhianna said...

What an awesome mission statement. Every time I read a SYL challenge I think oh I really must do that...Good on you for actually getting it started

 
At January 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM , Blogger Ames said...

Wonderful mission statements! They sound like they truly do represent your family.

 
At January 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM , Anonymous Deb @ home life simplified said...

I love how you wrote things like we will (do x) so we (Y) - like connecting what you plan to don sunday with how it will set you up for a good week ahead!

 
At January 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Lauren said...

I have seen a few of these Mission Statements around Blog Land this week, and I keep thinking, why don't I do that?

I think your statement is rather beautiful :)

 
At January 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM , Blogger Veronica @ Mixed Gems said...

A lot of work went into this. I noticed you found out about the challenge via something I wrote so were playing catch up. Now I'm playing catch up as I've yet to do my mission statement! It seems so much harder since I have to rope hubby into the process. Fingers crossed.

 
At January 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM , Blogger Jess@Diary of a SAHM said...

Great statement! Such positive things to be speaking over yourselves.

 
At January 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Great job. You certainly put a lot of work and thought into your statement. It is quite inspirational.

 
At January 24, 2012 at 3:35 PM , Blogger The Mother Experiment said...

thanks Rhianna. :)
The exercises so far have been quite challenging, actually the first week was easy of me but two and three has been tricky and it looks like this week will be too. They have been quite beneficial though.

 
At January 24, 2012 at 3:36 PM , Blogger The Mother Experiment said...

Thanks Ames :)

 
At January 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM , Blogger The Mother Experiment said...

thanks Deb. I think it's important to see cause and effect with regards to goals :)

 
At January 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM , Blogger The Mother Experiment said...

Thank you Jess. For some time I've been convicted to change from "I don't want to do (x) anymore" to, "I'll start doing (y)" instead. Here's hoping it works.

 
At January 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM , Blogger The Mother Experiment said...

Thank you Lauren, I'm glad you like it :). It is worth doing one if there's something you or your family are really passionate about.

 
At January 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM , Blogger The Mother Experiment said...

Good luck Veronica, you can do it! Honestly, Corey was tentative at first but once he got into it I think he almost enjoyed himself. On Deb's advice I printed the list of words (pretty arty picture style) and asked him to circle some and then I also asked what I did that annoyed him and he was able to work out his core values from there.

I did it from what I thought was his perspective so I could see if I was close or wrong. I had some idea of most just with different words for the same thing but a few I was way off, so I'm glad he took the time.

I didn't get him to write the mission statement with me though but I did ask him what would make him happier and if there was anything he really wanted me to put on there or leave off.

 
At January 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM , Anonymous Lifeasmummymax said...

what a wonderful mission statement. I would actually be curious to see what my hubby would say. Maybe something i should look at doing x

 
At January 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM , Blogger Misha - TheBlingBuoy said...

You obviously put a lot of work, care and thought into this process... which hopefully means it will really work to enrich your lives. I look forward to hearing about the next step.

 
At January 24, 2012 at 9:11 PM , Anonymous Becky from BeckyandJames.com said...

I love how you worked together so honestly to make such a great mission statement. Putting thought and time into it certainly has paid off for you guys.

 
At January 25, 2012 at 1:45 AM , Blogger robyn said...

Brilliant Karlee :)

 
At January 26, 2012 at 7:29 PM , Anonymous Lyndal said...

i really liked this statement - it sounds as though you have a great and loving family x

 
At January 26, 2012 at 9:08 PM , Blogger Miss Mandy said...

I love that home is your safe place, that was definitely something I wanted to reflect too. Sounds like your family has a great mission statement.

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home