This Page

has been moved to new address

Do you seriously expect me to eat this gunk?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Do you seriously expect me to eat this gunk?

O

As I mentioned in 'Sometimes we need a little stupid', we gave William his first tastes of solids on Sunday.

He has been grabbing at food on our plates for weeks. He's been babbling away to Alexis for weeks in secret code for "feed me some of that I'm starving". He is quite intrigued with watching us eat. He gets excited when Alexis eats ice cream or lollies or nuggets or pasta or sandwiches or pear or grapes or peas or pretty much anything.

On Sunday I was fed up with feeding all the time so we thought we would give him a go. He is only four months old so we tried him with a tiny bit of farex made on my milk. That's what the recommendation is to start on these days. Queensland health says to wait til 6 months but I didn't think that was ever going to happen.

William was so excited when Corey put him in the highchair and put a bib on him. He was pretty excited seeing the big bright packet coming out of the cupboard. He was interested while we were mixing it up. He smiled with amusement as the spoon came up to his lips. He tried it. He wasn't impressed. He gave it a second chance and he burst into tears.

His face said it all, "you seriously don't expect me to eat this junk do you?" He kept crying until we got him out and he got his precious booby feed. We've tried three times now and it's been pretty much the same.

I'm glad, relieved and honoured that he enjoys breastfeeding so much. I'm happy to keep going until at least his first birthday. It's nice to feel useful and breastfeeding is so convenient.

My question is now we've started with solids do we keep going or do we say, "he's not ready" and wait a few weeks? There's every possibility he doesn't like farex, I mean, have you tasted it? It's very very bland but that's the point.

Alexis never ate it plain once she tasted her second food but she did at least tolerate farex initially. When we started her there was no denying that she was ready. We didn't start her til 5 months, maybe the extra month made the difference. Maybe she was just a big eater.  She chowed down on fruit and vegetables like a fully grown man. She has a sweet tooth now though which is possibly due to being given sweet potato as her first 'real' food but more likely due to her being a 2 year old.

I'm not sure whether to offer William something else or wait a bit longer. He seemed so keen a few weeks ago but I made him wait. Maybe he was growing then and my milk has caught up. He doesn't really need solids, he's thriving on boob juice, but I'm a bit excited about including him in family meals and feeding a little less. It'd be awesome if feeding him solids allowed him to sleep through the night (I can dream) but I'm told that's an old wives tale.   
 
He's still so little. We both love feeding. There's no tearing hurry. I just don't want to withhold good things from him. It's easier to keep him away from food and not have to go back to pureeing and a hundred little containers filling my freezer. It's lovely to guard the precious breastfeeding bond with him too. I don't want to hold him back though.

I guess time will tell. He will let us know what he wants. The problem is he wants icecream and cheeseburgers and chips and waterbottles and feet and bed sheets and human fingers. Hmmm.


What's your experience with starting babies on solids?     
  

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At February 17, 2012 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Crash Test Mummy said...

I tried baby rice with mine just before 6 months. She liked it, but then we learned about Baby Led Weaning. So we waited until she could sit up at 6 months and started her straight on soft finger foods that she could hold and munch on. She never looked back and she's a great eater now (4yrs). We did the same with our son. We thought he was hungry and tried some mush, but it blocked him up. So again we just waited and started him on BLW at 6 months. I can highly recommend it. They get a much better sense of taste and textures rather than everything all mashed up together. Good luck!

 
At February 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM , Blogger Bali_Bride2012 said...

We had the same thing with my son. He seemed ready but then rejected the Farex. A few weeks later we tried again and he loved it :-) Maybe just try him everynow and then and see how it goes?

Here via FYBF

 
At February 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM , Blogger Rhianna said...

First time round I was all pureed and mashed and what not, starting at about 8 months I think, second time round it was much more of a baby led weaning approach probably about 6-7 months I think. And the third one I don't think I have ever pureed anything for her ever. She probably got given food earlier than the others but it was just the same was what we had (if it was soft)

For me food is a play and fun time till about 15 months. I think more about the experience than nutrition if you will. I b/f the others till about 2 years, maybe a little longer. The youngest will be 2 in April and I am not sure when we will end our feeding relationship. Since she is likely to be the last I am not really rushing just yet

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home