This Page

has been moved to new address

SYL12 weeks 7 and 8: happiness defined

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

SYL12 weeks 7 and 8: happiness defined

This post updates my progress with the 52 weeks to simplify your life challenge at Home Life Simplified. 


Week 7 Vision boards

I haven't posted pictures of my vision boards for SYL12 challenge because I haven't done any. I just haven't had the time with my daughter's birthday and my son being sick then starting solids and just general life stuff. I'm OK with not doing them, because most of my goals and dreams for the immediate future aren't really things you can print out and stick on a cork board. That said though I do have a visual reminder. Very early on in the piece I did my own version of a vision board without even realising it.

At the same time I was nutting out our family mission statement (over a month ago) I was writing our core values on individual poster-size sheets of paper with crayons. Over a few miserable rainy weather days I let Alexis loose with some crayons and she decorated them. She dragged Corey and I into drawing things with her. We all loved the family time and there were times when I'd have a crayon in one hand and William in the other, while Alexis and Corey drew too. They are perfect for us as a family but I'm not going to share them on here. I thought about it but they are personal, private art works and well, they kind of suck because I'm left handed but I was holding William in my left hand so I had to use my right hand they weren't initially made for public viewing.

Week 8 Happiness


Last week's challenge was to define what makes me happy (and start doing it). I've touched on this a few times in my blogging journey but in a nutshell

I am happy when I have peace in my mind. 


It's so simple but yet so incredibly complicated if I allow it to be. Generally I have peace in my mind by avoiding disappointment, stress, confusion and fear. This past week I have been 'mindful' to be 'mindful'. I dropped everything to take Alexis out to watch the sunset one evening. I've been singing silly songs with the kids. Little things like that make my mood improve. It is also easier to be happy when I am confident that I am  "good enough".

As a long term strategy I've been trying to cut out "internal background noise" and understand my thoughts. I've been slowing down, to take the time to think. I've been spending more time on "God stuff". I've been lowering my expectations of myself and others. I've been learning to be OK with "just OK". I've been learning that if I want something really bad I have to fight for it but if I don't then I need to let it go. These things don't come naturally just yet and it won't happen over night but it is a big step for me in "being happy". Most importantly to be happy I need to get my eyes off "me" and "my circumstances" and look to my God who gives me joy.



I was aware of all this before I read Week 9 go easier on yourself but I'm glad I get another week to practice. :)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At February 29, 2012 at 12:08 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Love that last bit Karlee "to be happy, I need to get my eyes off me and my circumstances and look to my God. Too true!

 
At February 29, 2012 at 7:40 PM , Anonymous Deb @ home life simplified said...

So happy with the whole vibe of your post - from letting yourself off the hook with the vision board to what makes you happy - can't wait to read what you have to say further on letting go of that internal noise!

 

Post a Comment

If you would like to leave a comment please do, I love reading your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home